Wildfire Information

From March 1st until October 31st all burning in the Forest Protection Area, except campfires for cooking or warmth, requires a fire permit.

Fire permits are free and can be obtained from your local Alberta Agriculture and Forestry (Forestry Division, Wildfire Managementoffice.

Slave Lake: 780.849.7377

High Prairie: 780.523.6619

Wabasca: 780.891.3860

View the Wildfire Hazard Update.

Go back and make sure your winter burns are out!

In preparation for spring, go back and check your winter burns. A fire can burn under the snow all winter long, only to come back to life on a windy spring day. When checking your winter burns, spread around any remaining debris and probe the area for hot spots. Use your bare hands to feel for heat over the ash piles.

If you see smoke or feel any heat, the fire is still burning beneath the surface. Douse any remaining hot spots with water and stir up the ashes. A fire is not extinguished until there is absolutely no heat emanating from the ashes.

Where can I get information on wildfires burning in the area?

Like the Alberta Wildfire Info Facebook page or follow us on Twitter @ABGovWildfire.

Contact ESRD Wildfire Information Officer
Joseph Gorzeman - ESRD Wildfire Information Officer

Cell: 780-849-0945
Office: 780-849-7422

Call 1-866-FYI-FIRE

Visit http://www.esrd.alberta.ca

Where can I get information on fire bans?
Visit http://www.albertafirebans.ca to check for any fire restrictions or bans in your area and in Alberta's Provincial Parks.

How do I report a wildfire?
Call 310-FIRE (3473)

ESRD Emergency Numbers:

Forest Fire - Toll Free:  310-FIRE (3473)
Telus Mobility:   #3473

Report a Poacher - Toll Free: 1 800 642-3800
Telus Mobility:    #3800

Environmental Hotline    1-800-222-6514